Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Travel notes

 I'm buying tickets here and there, almost frantically, flights and lodging, theater and museum. It is my respite from the ennui of Winter, my rejection of social media - well, Twitter, anyway - the few days this year that I am sober. Old habits die hard.

So at the end of this month is NYC, then Denver to Ess Eff in March, followed (not finally, I trust) a trip from Regensberg to Budapest on the Danube in April. Along the way irritants arise - some carriers will not let us select our seats, hotel rooms overpriced, rental cars in short supply. My life is so hard. 

I have no plan to slacken the pace. The best cure for that sense of being trapped and wriggling on the wall ("to spit out all the butt-ends of my days and ways," thank you Dr. Eliot) is mania. Run away fast and don't look back, run until it's safe again. Run in circles if you must - measure out your life in Apple watch activities. Whatever works, when the world is closing in and breathing down your neck.

No comments: