Wednesday, January 25, 2023

My Home Town

 Sooo, the lead discussion on "Nextdoor" this morning was generated by neighbour Mimi Chitty, who said "Please do not put your dog poop in my trash cans. You are so annoying!"

Ignoring, for the moment, that she has called us "annoying" despite - to the best of my knowledge - never having met us, I have to say that I wholeheartedly disagree with her demand. Several rebuttal points were made, and I list them here:

1. Would you rather we leave it on your lawn, sidewalk or street? Does this look like San Francisco?

2. It's not "your" trash can. The city provides them for your use. I'm sure the city has no preference if the poop is in your trash or mine.

3. There is a legal presumption - backed up by precedent - that the owner of trash moved to the curb in anticipation of removal by trash collectors no longer has an of expectation of privacy over the material. In other words, we may remove (or add to) discarded trash as we see fit.

4. It is one thing to ask us to pick up poop, which we, as dog owners, are properly responsible to do. It is another thing to demand that we walk around the neighbourhood and chat with the neighbours while holding a steaming bag of dog doo.

5. In general, the shit is in bags (I can't imagine otherwise). As such, it is less likely to smell or draw flies that most of the other crap you put in your bin.

Finally, we have Nick Mothershed, who had what I thought was the best response: "Get a hobby," he said. To which Mimi responded "FU." Chitty thing to say, Mimi. Way to give up the high ground.

No comments: