Thursday, January 5, 2023

Profiles in Ignorance

 The title of this post is the title of a book by Andy Borowitz, in which he traces the decay of the US Presidency from Dan Quayle onward to Donald Trump. It's a book that is as distressing as it is amusing. In the epilogue, Borowitz offers the recommendation that criticising politics is a mere spectator sport, and is of little intrinsic value, because - oh, I dunno, because everyone has an opinion, I suppose. He cautions that if you really want to have a effect on politics you must get "involved" and engage is such things as deep canvassing, so you and your neighbours can hone a more finely developed hatred of one another - kidding, of course, sort of. I have two non-exclusive responses to Borowitz's suggestion:

1. Borowitz has made a healthy living off of criticising politicians, and in squarely in the circle-jerk of political fundraising, in which he plays a part by selling books to those of us who want to be amused by what assholes the Republicans are in their day-to-day lives.

2. I don't want to be "involved." I have NEVER wanted to be involved. I would have stopped voting a long time ago except that friends and loved ones hectored me into it. I would no more knock on someone's door to advance a political cause that I would pass out "Lighthouse" tracts.

Just sayin'.

Day 3 - No Speaker of the House in sight. Send water and provisions.

No comments: