Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Pronouns

 George Santos has disappeared again - not from the House, this time, but from the news cycle. We've moved on to voting on the new House rules, e.g., {Pronoun} Who Smelt It, Dealt It, that sort of thing. Except there's a raging argument over the use of {Pronoun}, with the 20-or-so Freedom Caucus members - an Orwellian designation, to say the least - in unison complaining that it's obviously "He," it's always "He." Anyhow, I think it's a mistake to let G. Santos slip from our focus, next thing you know he be swinging with Sean Spicer, dressed up in a tutu and dancing with the stars.

Who is George Santos, really? That's the question on the mind of every New York Post aficionado. It would probably be best if we find out before he runs for President, although it would be fun to see him and Donald Trump in a debate.

Donald: I am the greatest!

George: I am the best greatest!

Donald: I am rich beyond imagination!

George: I'll buy your imagination for 44 Billion dollars!

And so on.

On a mostly unrelated note, I am dazzled by what I assume to be the storyline of Jurassic World Dominion. Of course, I've only watched about 5 minutes of it, but here's my hypothetical synopsis:

        Dinosaurs, escaping from captivity in the previous iteration of the franchise, begin to breed in the wild, and eventually become so commonplace as to be something of an occasionally fatal nuisance, at which point we hunt them into extinction once again.

What terrific high concept. It has all the trappings of anthropocentrism, genetic engineering and just a soupçon of master race. Brilliant! I can't wait to see George Santos in his tragic role as "the last T-Rex."

No comments: