Friday, March 31, 2023

Only His Hairdresser Knows For Sure


 I'm running a poll now on Mastodon (vastly better than Twitter - highly recommend) that raises the following question: Will The Former Guy:

A) Turn himself in.

B) Barricade at Mar-A-Lago.

C) Flee to exile.

The numbers, so, far, favor A (65%) over B (26%) and C (11%).

I can see an argument for any of these outcomes, but personally I'm in the B category. The question, as I see it, is whether or not he is more dedicated to:

A1) Turning this indictment into a payday, or

B1) Destroying the institution of democracy.

Turning himself in favors A1. But B1 has the virtue of potentially incorporating a payday into his very public denial of the rule of law. His base are largely criminals, or people who believe that everyone else is a criminal, so why not? They all hate democratic governance, because they see everything as transactional. Their distrust of institutions and systems runs deep, and sometimes with good reason. Guile, manipulation, and the cis mostly-White male power of Christianity are their stock in trade. The rule of law doesn't even make the list.

This is what I believe TFG is aiming for - no less than the end of American democracy. Once he ascends the throne, the payday becomes permanent.

To be fair, he may be playing an even longer game than the one in my estimation, turning himself in so he can drag it out and mount his battle in the 2024 elections. I can't think of why he would do that, though, when he's got DeSantis running interference for him on the extradition front. Trump has DeSantis deliciously jammed up, and I'm sure he's savoring the fact. 

For my part, I hate these people with the heat of a thousand suns.

Just sayin'. 

No comments: